This course is designed for the non-commissioned security officer. This is a guard who does not carry a firearm while on duty.
A person acts as a guard company for the purposes of this chapter if the person employs an individual described by Section 1702.323(d) or engages in the business of or undertakes to provide a private watchman, guard, or street patrol service on a contractual basis for another person to:
(1) prevent entry, larceny, vandalism, abuse, fire, or trespass on private property;
(2) prevent, observe, or detect unauthorized activity on private property;
(3) control, regulate, or direct the movement of the public, whether by vehicle or otherwise, only to the extent and for the time directly and specifically required to ensure the protection of property;
(4) protect an individual from bodily harm including through the use of a personal protection officer; or
(5) perform a function similar to a function listed in this section.
Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 388, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, Sec. 14.588, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.
Sec. 1702.161. SECURITY OFFICER COMMISSION REQUIRED. (a) An individual may not accept employment as a security officer to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the individual’s duties unless the individual holds a security officer commission.
(b) An individual employed as a security officer may not knowingly carry a firearm during the course of performing duties as a security officer unless the department has issued a security officer commission to the individual.
(c) A person may not hire or employ an individual as a security officer to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the individual’s duties unless the individual holds a security officer commission.
Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 388, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, Sec. 14.610, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1146 (H.B. 2730), Sec. 4.48, eff. September 1, 2009.
Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 595 (S.B. 616), Sec. 5.054, eff. September 1, 2019.